Canyon Rim Elementary School Academics
Canyon Rim is committed to educating children in a positive, safe environment with high standards and expectations. We hold students to a personal standard of behavior. We have implemented Thinking Maps, eight consistent visual organizers for teaching and learning that are used in all grade levels and in all content areas, and extended our Thinking Maps by implementing Write…From the Beginning, a school-wide writing approach based on our Thinking Maps. Canyon Rim staff partners with parents in the education of their children and asks them to send students to school each day rested, fed and with the understanding that school achievement is each child's personal responsibility. Parents are asked to expect their students to be respectful of themselves and others.
Organization and Philosophy
- Positive School Climate
- Community School
- Parent Teacher Association (PTA)
- A Character Counts! school
- Love and Logic School Wide Discipline Plan
- Amanecer Preschool
- Integrated Kindergarten
- Full Day Kindergarten
- Self-Contained Primary & Intermediate Academic SCILLS
- Special Education Programs
- Accelerated Learning Programs for gifted Learners
- Fine Arts Programs including Music and Art
- Technology and Computer Instruction
- Before and After school programs (VIK Club - Community Education)
- Social Structured Preschool Class
- Reading & Math Specialists
- Reading Coach
- Provide targeted Math instruction utilizing Rigor, Relevance and Relationships (RRR) and Professional Learning Communities (PLC) to target students’ skills for current and future success in academics and life.
- Improve student writing in all curricular areas by utilizing teaching strategies such as 6 Traits, Thinking Maps, and Write…From the Beginning.
- Develop life-long learners through modeling a commitment and love for learning at all levels of the school community.
- Provide opportunities for students to become involved in community service projects; developing a sense of civic responsibility.
- Continue school-community partnerships involving parents, teachers, students and businesses; supported and facilitated by our strong PTA.
- Empower students in developing the skills and behaviors necessary for healthy social interaction while learning how their decisions affect the quality of their lives and of others.
- Canyon Rim opened its doors on August 15, 2002
- Awarded National ELL Paraprofessinal of the Year 2006: Rosa Espinoza
- Leukemia and Lymphoma Society Pennies for Pasta Second Place Award Winner: 2006, 2007, 2009, 2010, First Place Winner: 2008
- Stationary Computer Lab
- Three Class sized Mobile Computer Labs
- Document Cameras and Projectors in Every Classroom
- SmartBoard Interactive Whiteboards
- Student Responders and iPod Touches at every Grade Level
- School Library
- Multi-Purpose Room with Climbing Wall
- School Psychologist
- School Social Worker
- Speech and Language Pathologist
- School Nurse supported by a part time Health Assistant
- Before and After School Childcare provided through Community Education VIK Program